Assignment – Front Cover
Students are required to use the enclosed Assignment Front Cover when submitting assignment. This is a MANDATORY requirement and the College will not accept any assignment received without the attached Assignment Front Cover. Kindly ensure that the Assignment Front Cover is not blocked by anything. Any fanciful cover that you would like to enclose should be placed after the Assignment Front Cover.
Copies of the Assignment Front Cover are available at the information counter at the respective College in which you are studying. Kindly ensure that all details requested for on the front cover are completed and that the recipient of your assignment counters signs, acknowledging receipt.
Remember to keep a copy of the assignment cover sheet as proof of submission.
SEGi College Kuala Lumpur,
33, Jalan Hang Lekiu,
50100 Kuala Lumpur,
Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur,
SEGi College Kuala Lumpur
Menu Planning & Development
Preparing well balanced appealing meal that reflects the chosen occasion to family and extended members and description about the prepared food
Diploma in Culinary Arts
Menu Planning & Development
Mode of Study
/ Full-Time q Part-Time q Independent Learning
Name of Lecturer
Ms. Nor Sayeedah
SEGi College Kuala Lumpur
Declaration by the student:
I, Diveshwaran Krishnan, hereby declare that the attached assignment is my own work and understand that if I am suspected of plagiarism or another form of cheating; my work will be referred to the Programme Director who may, as a result, recommend to the Examinations Board that my enrolment in the programme be discontinued.
Acknowledgement of receipt
Date Received Signature of Receiving Officer
Assignment Allocation of Marks
Description of criteria adopted that will be used for the assessment of the assignment
Marks Allotted by Lecturer
Relevance of content to assignment-Executive Summary
Clear explanation of issues, which are relevant for the assignment:
i. Relevance of information and material;
ii. Depth and quality of analysis;
iii. Identification and framing of issues and assumptions made.
Application of the relevant principles to the issue:
i. Understanding of principles, theories, and techniques;
ii. Appropriateness and depth of research;
iii. Analytical skills;
iv. Application skills.
Quality of recommendations relating to the problem:
i. Originality of idea and approach;
i. Appropriate citation and references;
ii. Style and readability;
iii. Overall presentation.
Feedback on Assignment:
Date Lecturer’s Name
Table of Content
In this period, technologies and innovations are playing a vital role in humans’ daily life. All these revolutions not started in short time period. But it’s beginning to dominate the entire world since early ages from tribes to civilizations and now in the 4th industrial era. Well, these revolutions are not only impacted the telecommunication and science sectors. These also become an important platform in food production sector; resulting in evolution in menu planning in food and beverage operations. So that, now peoples all over the world have an opportunity to encounter vast different types of menu that suit their taste buds.
As the world moving to greater heights people start to concern about consuming a well balanced diet that fills with plenty of nutrition. Due to that, Food and Beverage companies start to create appealing meals that don’t not move away from the basic order of food eating procedure such as appetizer, soup, main course, dessert, and beverage.
Here for this project, many suitable courses of meals were evaluated before choose the right course. Since the project was given during Christmas and New Year period, so western food was chosen as the meal that comprises 5 courses. Dinner Party Theme was set for Christmas Eve Celebration. Below Table 1 shows the menu and what type of food that prepared in this project. The number of packs was set to 6 that include 4 family members and my 2 friends. Family members consist of my parents and my 2 brothers while extended members were my two childhood friends.
The theme was set as Christmas Eve celebration because the Dinner party was organized on 24/12/17. Since the theme was about Christmas, Western food was chosen as the menu. The 5 course of the meal was selected carefully that provide a well-balanced nutritious and overall appealing meal.
Dinner Party Theme: Christmas Eve Celebration
Number of packs: 6 Person
Name of the Food
Roasted Garlic Mushroom Soup
Chicken Supreme Pizza
Chocolate Mousse Cream Cheese Cake
Mixed Berries Lemonade Sparkler Mocktail
Table 1: Planned menu that prepared for family and extended members
1) To study what type of well-balanced, nutritious and appealing meal need to prepare for family and extended members.
2) To decide the suitable meal that reflects the chosen occasion.
3) To prepare a five-course full meal that follows the recipe with the needed ingredient.
4) To identify the color, size, aroma, and texture for each course that prepared for them.
Appetizer: Classic Bruschetta
Figure 1.0: Classic Bruschetta
1) 6 NOS Tomatoes
2) 3 NOS Garlic cloves (chopped)
3) 2 Tbsp. oil
4) ½ Tsp. black pepper
5) 4-5 basil (thinly sliced)
6) 15 NOS sliced French bread
7) ½ NOS Lemon juice
8) 2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
1) Some oil
2) 3 NOS garlic (chopped)
1) Cut tomato in half and remove the seeds. Then, chop all the tomato and place those in a bowl. Add minced garlic, oil and lemon juice. Mix in basil. Followed by Cream Cheese.
2) Brush sliced French bread with olive oil. Place oil side of the baguette onto a sauté dish and toast gently.
3) Remove from the bowl and rub some garlic. Place tomato blends over sliced French bread and serve.
Soup: Roasted Garlic Mushroom Soup
Figure 1.1: Roasted Garlic Mushroom Soup
1) 12-15 garlic cloves (chopped)
2) ¼ cup of onion (chopped)
3) 200 gram of Swiss mushroom
4) 2 Tbsp. Butter
5) 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
6) 1 Cup of Milk
7) Approx. 3 cup water
8) Approx. 1 Tsp. ground pepper
9) Pinch of Salt
10) 1 Tbsp. of Cream (optional)
1) In a medium heat pan, melt butter. Then add onion and garlic. Sauté both ingredients until its change to golden brown color. Add Swiss mushroom; slowly it will start to caramelized and will change to golden brown color. Then add flour until thicken the ingredients.
2) Transfer the ingredients to a blender with adding Milk and 1/ 2 or 1 cup of water. Blend the ingredients finely. After that transfer the paste into medium heat pan. Then, add 1 cup of water, ground pepper, and salt. Stir for 3 minutes until the soup gets thick enough. May add cream to make the soup to make creamier.
3) Pour the soup into a small soup cup accompany with a soup spoon.
Main Course: Chicken Supreme Pizza
Figure 1.2: Chicken Supreme Pizza
1) 2.5 cup all-purpose flour
2) 1 Tsp. Yeast
3) 2 Tsp. Sugar
4) ½ Tsp. Salt
5) 2 Tsp. Oil
6) 1 Cup Warm Water
1) 5 Tomatoes
2) ½ cup chopped onion
3) 5 cloves minced garlic
4) 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
5) 1 Tbsp. Salt
6) 1 Tbsp. black pepper
7) 2 Tbsp. Tomato Sauce
8) 1 Tbsp. Turmeric Powder
9) 5 Basil Leaves
1) 2 Packs of 150-gram Mozzarella Cheese
2) 1 chopped Red capsicum
3) 1 chopped Green capsicum
4) 1 chopped Yellow capsicum
5) 10 chopped Swiss Mushrooms
6) 1 Chicken Brest Meat
7) 5 Chicken Sausages
8) 1 Tsp. salt
9) 2 oz. Water
1) In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients such as all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix the stated ingredients well before adding wet ingredients.
2) After that, add 2 Tsp. of oil and ½ cup of warm water. Warm water will be a catalyst to activate the yeast. Slowly mix the dry ingredients with water and oil; then add remaining warm water gradually.
3) Gently fold flour over the liquid. Mix until the dough begins to come together. Using a wide pan flour the surface. Get all the dough onto the surface of the pan. Start to knead, it will help to activate the gluten in the dough. May add a little bit of flour to eliminate stickiness of flour in the hands.
4) Put oil in a large bowl. Place the dough and cover with a dry cloth. The dough must be rest for 1 hour in a dry non ventilated area. As the time flies, it will double in size.
1) Firstly, using a knife makes a small “x” in the bottom of each tomato. Put all the tomatoes in boiled water and have to rest for 1 minute. After that, take the tomatoes out and put in ice water; peel the skin off and chop into small pieces.
2) Put 3 tbsp. oil in a frying pan.
On a medium heat, level put chopped onion and then add a pinch of sugar. Sauté until onion change into golden color. After that, add minced garlic followed by chopped tomatoes. Stir for a moment and then add dried oregano, salt, black pepper, turmeric powder and basil leaves.
Skim the paste until it changes to a thick paste. Leave for 10 minutes and pour into a blender and add tomato sauce. Blend the paste until all the ingredients that used blended finely. Put a side.
1) Chop all the ingredients into small pieces.
2) In a frying pan, put 1 ½ tbsp. oil. Mix chopped chicken with salt. On a medium heat, level fry the chopped chicken for 5 minutes and then put aside.
3) Using a knife cut Chicken sausages into small pieces and boil them in water for 3 minutes. Then put them aside.
4) Now repeat the process with all the vegetables. Put 1 ½ tsp. oil in a frying a pan and sauté red, yellow, green capsicum and Swiss Mushroom for 2 minutes. Put a side.
1) Takeout the pizza dough and place it in a pizza pan and stretch. Minimum 8 inch to 16 inches of pan is great for a wonderful pizza. Pinch a shallow border so that it makes the process of applying paste and toppings easy. Punch holes using a fork to remove any air bubbles.
2) Now can top up the paste, toppings and mozzarella cheese. First have to put the tomato paste followed by cheese and then chopped fried chicken, chopped chicken sausages, and lastly vegetables.
3) Preheat the oven to 20 minutes, 200 degree Celsius. Place the pizza in the oven and set the oven for 40 minutes, 250 degree Celsius.
4) After bake, make sure the pizza dough turn into golden brown. Can increase time till the crust turned the desired color.
5) Now the pizza is ready for serving.
Dessert: Chocolate Mousse Cream Cheese Cake
Figure 1.3: Chocolate Mousse Cream Cheese Cake
1) 2 packs of Oreo Cookies
2) 60 gram unsalted Butter (melted)
Cream Cheese Layer
1) 250-gram Cream Cheese
2) 50-gram whipping Cream
3) 40 ml condensed milk
4) 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Chocolate Mousse Layer
1) 100-gram whipping cream
2) 80 ml condensed milk
3) 150-gram cooking chocolate (melted)
1) 50-gram Cooking Chocolate
2) 50-gram unsalted butter (melted)
3) 50-gram whipping cream
4) 100 ml milk
1) Take all the Oreo cookies out and removes the cream. Put the cookies into a heavy duty Ziploc bag. Put the cookies into the Bag. To make the cookies to crush finely removed the excess air from the bag. Seal the bag. Firstly, using hands try to break the cookies into small pieces. Make sure all the cookies already break and not in the original shape. After that, using rolling pin hit them until they’re crushed. Before proceeding to next step, make sure all the cookies are crushed evenly so that it can form a perfect base for cake’s crust. Place the Oreo in a large bowl.
2) Pour the melted butter into the bowl and mix with the crushed Oreo until it becomes moist.
3) Place the crushed cookies that blended with melted butter into 7-inch baking pan and spread it across the pan evenly. Place the baking pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Layer
1) In the bowl pour whipping cream and condensed milk. Beat those ingredients until expand. After that, add cream cheese and lemon juice and mix until become fine. Pour this Cream cheese above the Oreo crust in the baking pan; spread evenly placed in a freezer for another 30 minutes.
Chocolate Mousse Layer
1) Repeat the process for chocolate mousse layer. Mix whipping cream and condensed milk until it becomes expand. Add melted chocolate and mix it until the entire ingredient blends finely. Pour this chocolate mousse above the cream cheese layer and freeze for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
1) Mix the melted cooking chocolate and melted butter. After that add milk and whipping cream and mix those ingredients. Pour this on the top of the Chocolate mousse layer and put in the chiller for 30 minutes.
Cut the cake using a heated knife so it will not break into pieces. Place the sliced cake on a small plate accompany with a fork.
Beverage: Mixed Berries Lemonade Sparkler Mocktail
Figure 1.4: Mixed Berries Lemonade Sparkler Mocktail
1) 2 Lemons
2) 1 Bottle of 1.5 Liters Sprite
3) 6 Oz of Mixed Berries Syrup
4) Some Ice cubes
1) Firstly cut the lemon into circular slices. Each slice has to be 0.3 cm of thickness. Then, cut the lemon slices into 6 equal small triangular shapes. Like a pizza slice.
2) After that, using another lemon cut it into smaller wedges. Squeeze those wedges to extract juices from the lemons. To obtain more juices roll the lemons against the counter before moving on to the cutting process.
3) In a prepared wine glass, put 4 ice cubes followed by some sprite. Pour sprite until it fills third quarter of the wine glass. Then, add a tablespoon of lemon juices into the wine glass. Add 3-5 triangular cut lemons into the wine glass. Then, pour slowly 1 Oz of Mixed berries syrup into the wine glass. May add more ice cubes to fill the glass until it’s full. Repeat the process for another cocktails.
Final appearance and feedback for the meals that prepared
Shape / Size
(Hot / Warm / Cold)
How it was cooked/prepared
Tomato Blends: Not Cooked
Sauté & Blended
Baked, Boiled &
White & Black
Serving: Triangular /
8 inch diameter
Soft texture with creamy cheese taste
Red and Clear
Mixing of several liquids
Table 2: Description of food that prepared
All in all, as mention before the theme for the party, was Christmas Eve Celebration. So, from appetizer to beverage all the food that made was western food. Each of the following course was carefully evaluated before selected for preparation. It will help to ensure that all the food that prepared not having the same main base. In order to make family and extended members to enjoy the 5 course of meals pleasant fully.
Hosting a wonderful dinner party for the family and extended members by choosing the right course of meals that suit the occasion will help to gain more knowledge about planning the menu. Since western cuisine is the theme ,it will foster to get to know the way certain food prepared. For instance, for making bruschetta spreading garlic cloves above the sliced French bread is important, for making Mushroom soup choosing the best mushrooms for fragrance is important. At the same time, all the ingredients that were selected for the preparation, carefully chosen according to health and nutrition concern. So that in the end, all the food that was prepared will well balance and overall appeal.
Recipes, ingredients, preparation and the method of cooking were recorded and reported in the assignment. Each one of the food that made was differ from each other; so time management and mise en plus were conducted to ensure that the process of making will not resume by lacking ingredients and apparatus. The color, shape & size, flavor & aroma, texture, temperature and method of preparation were also recorded during and after the making of the 5 course of meals. Here, some of the final appearance and feedback were taken from family and extended members. For instance, the mouth fell and temperature.
All the reviews and feedback that obtained from them was used to improve the meals in the future.
Figure 2.0 (Right): Ingredients used for Making Classic Bruschetta
Figure 2.1 (Left): All the Tomatoes were chopped into the same medium dice size.
Figure 2.2: Ingredients for making roasted garlic mushroom soup
Figure 2.3 (Left): Pizza dough was separated into 3 parts to put topping
Figure 2.4 (Right): Ingredients that used for making topping of the pizza
Figure 2.5 : Ingredients that used for preparing dessert
Figure 2.6 : Cream Cheese mix was poured on the top of Oreo crust
Figure 2.7: Ingredients used for making Beverage
1) Paul J. McVety, Bradley J. Ware, and Claudette Levesque Ware, 2008, Fundamentals of Menu Planning, 3rd Edition, John Wiley and Sons
2) John A Drysdale, Jennifer A. Galipeau, 2008, Profitable Menu Planning, 4th Edition, Prentice Hall
3) Berhad, A. (2017). Classic Bruschetta Ajinomoto Malaysia. Online Ajinomoto.com.my. Available at: http://www.ajinomoto.com.my/classic-bruschetta/ Accessed 29 Dec. 2017.